Where does fitness fit into your life? For me, gym time is number one on my self-care checklist. Unless I am sick or injured, I’m getting it in at least 6 days a week.
No matter what is going on in my life, and I mean no matter what, I make time to sweat.
That said, getting in a daily workout isn’t always first on the things I want to do today list. Some days I wake up ready to tackle the day, some days I feel like the day is about to sneak attack me. It’s a real challenge to make myself schedule “me time” when I’m being tugged in a hundred different directions. It’s easy to bump exercise down the ladder with so much life grabbing for your attention. My favorite time to get it in is in the early morning hour before the day starts running away from me.
I know I’m better for myself, my child and everyone around me, once I’ve gotten in my daily work out. Fitness ranks high on my priority list because working out makes me feel so good. It gives me time alone with my thoughts, to shake off any negative energy I’m facing, offering me an opportunity to refocus and prioritize everything else. For me, it’s as important as brushing my teeth in the morning. I have to make time to take care of me, even when I don’t want to take care of me.
To succeed in any fitness routine, you need to find an activity that you enjoy. What I enjoy has rotated many times throughout the years. The one constant for me is running. I love to run. I can do it anytime, anywhere, with access to a gym or without access to a gym. The road is always there for me. I’ve found, over time, through new experiences, that I love other types of fitness too. Like rowing, Lagree, the Versa climber and HIIT with some weightlifting thrown in for fun.
A few Local Lafayette Favorites:
- The Body Factory: Lagree has transformed my life and made me stronger than I ever imagined I could be. Their Climb class is low impact and has made me a better runner. And the best part? It’s only 30 minutes long. Anyone can do anything for 30 minutes.
- Orange Theory Lafayette: I’ve been an avid member since the Studio opened in Lafayette and can honestly say I’ve never done the same work out twice. The tunes are always on point, the Coaches are encouraging, just show up and get ready to be challenged in such a fun way. They make it so easy.
- Hub City Fitness: New to Youngsville area, 24-hour gym located off the Ambassador Caffery extension. The open floor plan offers me the freedom and ability to move around, putting together my routine, at literally anytime of the day. There’s also an array of classes, with yoga and cycling. Hop into an Apex HIIT class for an extra challenge!
- Fit Niche Lafayette: Free Sunrise group fitness class offered once a week. Yep, free!
- The Road: it’s always open. You don’t have to run all the miles. (Or do, if that’s your thing!) Run a few laps, grab a park bench and use it for body weight, smell some flowers. Get outside and get your blood flowing. You won’t regret it!
There are so many wonderful resources out there to help you get started or to keep you going if you find yourself burned out in what you’re doing. The good news is, the active community is incredibly diverse and universally welcoming. There’s something for everyone. Seriously. Find what you love, join a new community, they will welcome you with open arms.
You don’t need a big goal. You don’t have to be the strongest. The fastest. The most flexible. The fittest or the thinnest. You just have to commit to a decision to try, every day, to be a better version of you, for you.