I have never read the five love languages, but when it comes to physical touch, receiving gifts, quality time, acts of service, and words of affirmation, I have always gravitated towards words of affirmation. Something about the reassurance from another is always nice to have.
Before texting and emails, there were handwritten notes. Pen to paper, heart to paper. The sentiment that has been lost in the shuffle.
I often wonder why this has gone away, something so special about someone taking the time out to write a note. The thought, the effort, the love behind it.
I have been infamously known to send a card or two in my day. To me, there is something so thoughtful, so personal, so powerful about a handwritten card.
When to send a card:
- Thank you- for always being a good friend
- Get Well- when someone is just under the weather
- New Baby/ New Pregnancy- well wishes for the parents to be
- Marriage/Anniversary – wishes for a happy life journey together
- Sympathy-send your love for the loss of a loved one
- Retirement- because you are jealous (just kidding) to wish them well
- New Job- to congratulate them on leveling up
- Just because- when a friend is just having a hard time and needs some extra love
This is just a few of the occasions when you can send someone a card. In times like these, we all need encouragement. I challenge you, send a card, every month, to someone in your life. Really take the time to think about who needs a few words of encouragement, who needs some extra love. I promise you; this might not be a big deal for you but could be a huge deal for them.