I am typically a pretty low maintenance gal with a simple morning and evening skincare regimen consisting of an “off the shelf” facial cleanser and, on days I actually wear it, makeup remover. I don’t moisturize like I should. I do not wear sunscreen daily. (Did you know that, allegedly, you get more UV exposure walking to your mailbox on a daily basis than you do tanning on a beach trip? – Neither did I.) I have never had a fancy facial. The closest I’ve come to one is the sheet masks from the Target dollar spot. LOW maintenance.
Like many inquiring, young Millennials lately, I too, jumped on the Face App bandwagon to see how I looked as the “old” me. I thought I would just take it at “face” value, but wowza! was I unprepared for they way I would feel about my picture. After I got over the initial shock of the hideousness before my eyes, I vowed to myself to become a tad more (ok, a whole heck of a lot more) high maintenance.
I’m not worried so much about the Russians having access to my face as I am about actually looking like the “me” behind old filter when I’m 70. My mother has aged very gracefully, so I’d like to think genetics are on my side, but if the Face App is any indication of what elderly Christy will look like, then call me vain but something’s gotta change! (At least my earrings were cute and my arms still look tight!)
Botox? Maybe one day, but today I start small. Attack one laugh line, one crow’s foot, and one wrinkle at a time.
Here is how I’ve changed my daily skin care regimen thus far:
- I have substituted my heavy foundation for lighter, mineral based Kismet fixed powder foundation. One easy step and less clogged pores.
- I have switched from regular ole bar soap to an actual facial cleanser by Sei Bella. That brand also has a makeup remover I LOVE.
- I busted out my Mac tinted moisturizer and have worked it into my daily morning facial routine.
- I pampered myself with Kismet Hydrogel Eye Masks for a quick lift with natural ingredients.
I polled some of my trusted Lafayette Moms and friends for their favorite anti-aging products.
Here are some great contenders to battle the test of time:
- CeraVe Renewing SA Cleanser
- CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream
- Skinceuticals CE Ferulic serum
- Elta MD tinted moisturizer with SPF
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant
- Paula’s Choice Omega+ Complex Moisturizer
- Tatcha Dewy Skin Cream
- Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer with Broad Spectrum SPF 30
- Aveeno Positively Radiant Intensive Night Cream with Vitamin B3
- Mario Badescu Glycolic Foaming Cleanser
- Mario Badescu Hyaluronic Eye Cream
- Olehenriksen Uplifting Transformation Eye Creme
Cher, I hope it’s not too late to turn back time, if I can find a way. <–Yep, I went there. I mean, that old filter version of myself was APP-solutely atrocious.