Literally… anything else.
No, I’m not referring to current events. It’s more important than ever that we stay well informed. Besides, the grownups of the world don’t really HAVE anything else to talk about. (It’s all been canceled!) I’m talking to my kids, or I guess I should say ABOUT them. Because let me tell you, I’ve had more video game/hypothetical superhero show-down conversations than I ever dreamed possible. I’m all about taking advantage of this time and being present with them as much as possible. But I’m up to my eyeballs in potty humor and pre-teen wonderment.
Change the subject.
One day, in a moment of sheer emotional exhaustion, I started spouting off questions just to break the monotony. Low and behold, I created ‘A Thing.’ Now my kids shout “Let’s ask questions!” as we start on a walk, bike ride, picnic lunch, etc. and that’s what we do. (Isn’t it funny how the things I try to make into a big deal fall flat, but the things that come straight outta left field somehow have staying power? Am I alone in that?)
So, I’m here to share my questions with you, in case they’re fun for your family. But also, because I need help! I’m running out of questions. Can we trade? Here, I’ll start. Some of our new favorites have been…
- If we could go on vacation to any place in the world, where would we go?
- Pick a famous person, you get to ask them one question… Who and what would you ask?
- Imagine you could trade places with an animal. What kind of animal would you become and why?
- You get one superpower. What would it be?
- You’re opening a restaurant that only serves ONE kind of food (& does it REALLY well.) What would you serve?
- Pick one part from three different creatures-that-don’t-really-exist and build your own mythical creature.
We also play a lot of I Spy, Would You Rather and I’m Thinking of an Animal…
Regardless of what we’re talking about, my favorite part is the offshoot conversations that result. Also, I keep going back to my answer to that vacation question… if you need me, I’ll be on an island.