My family and I just got back from a wonderful weekend away … We went CAMPING!!
I must say that camping hasn’t always been my idea of fun. I flat out told my husband that I would NEVER go camping. That was until we gained access to a camper anytime that we wanted to use it.
It took me a while to jump on board and make a commitment to plan our first camping trip to a State Park, which was rough!!! I definitely thought long and hard before we made the commitment to another trip, but then a friend invited us to join her family at an RV Resort called Gator Grounds in Bunkie, LA so I agreed to another camping trip.
I am happy to say that this trip was so much better than our last. This campground had a water park and plenty of activities to keep the girls entertained. We all enjoyed the weekend and I can’t even report any epic meltdowns from any of the kiddos!
Here are a few tips that I have learned to make camping with kids enjoyable for all:
- Plan easy kid friendly meals to cook or cook ahead
- Bring your kids bikes, scooters or whatever they like to ride. Most of the kids are all outside in the mornings and evenings riding bikes and running around. It is a lot of fun to watch!
- Bring shade as there are not many trees in the RV resort type parks
- Bring lots of sunscreen and bug spray; the bugs were really bad in the evenings.
- Bring rainy day activities such as games, coloring books, cards, puzzles, Etc. In Southern Louisiana, you never know when a storm will chase you inside.
- Be prepared to let go. I’m a total helicopter mom, and I had to completely step out of my comfort zone and let go and allow my children to run around and play but not keep my eyes on them at all times
I hope that this helps some of you mamas step outside of your comfort zone as I did! Get outside and have some fun!!