This post is totally not sponsored. I have paid for the items discussed below or they have been gifted to my children by friends and family members.
Before I had kids and when my kids were too tiny to really play with any of these toys, I thought all of the Melissa and Doug hype was based on the attractiveness of the toys. I did not understand the durability and practicality of wooden toys and liked Melissa and Doug solely on aesthetics.
But, I pick up toys day after day. And it seems like I pick up the same toys day after day because my kids genuinely love and play with these toys. Each time I pick up these toys, I marvel at the quality . . . and at the fact that we still have all pieces. *pats self on back*
So, as we prepare for Christmas, I thought I would suggest five of our very favorite Melissa and Doug toys that would make great gifts for those on your list.
1. Melissa and Doug Mailbox — I had some trouble finding this item online, but I am certain it is still available. My son received this toy for his first birthday. He is now 5. This toy gets played with at least 3 times a week. It is a shape sorter and also encourages fine motor skills.
2. Melissa and Doug Broom Set — We have only had this toy a year, but my kids absolutely love it. It has a small footprint and is actually functional. The kids have helped us pick up messes with this toy.
3. Melissa and Doug Cookie Set — We have the Christmas Cookie Set, but there is a regular cookie set, too. We have had this toy for 4 years now. It is great for pretend play but also for counting and fine motor skills.
4. Melissa and Doug Cash Register — this toy is so much fun. It is a shape sorter and encourages color learning. It looks like the new set comes with a whole wallet and extra money. We only have 3 coins and a credit card.
5. Melissa and Doug Grocery Store — I grew up going to the New Orleans Children’s Museum and have the fondest memories of the grocery store there. I realize this toy is more expensive than the others and requires a bit of space, but it is so much fun. I will say — if you buy the cardboard Melissa and Doug grocery food to go with it, invest in some packing tape to reinforce those boxes just like they do at the Children’s Museum. Or else — you will be buying new food and cursing me in the months to come.
So — there you have it. Enjoy! and Merriest of Christmases, friends.