Touchdown Worthy Tailgating Recipes
As summer waves goodbye, it is time for my most favorite season of the year … FOOTBALL!!! Which also means it’s tailgating season. And with that comes tasty food. Here I am sharing some sure fire recipes that will make you the MVP of any game!
Buffalo Chicken Dip Totchos
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of cooked, shredded chicken
- ½ cup of Buffalo style hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup of sour cream
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, cut into pieces and softened
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- ½ cup crumbles blue cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped chives
- 1 bag of frozen tots
Prepare tots according to package. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and the hot sauce and simmer until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Turn off the heat, then stir in the lemon juice, sour cream and cream cheese until combined. Sprinkle ½ cup of cheddar cheese over the top.
Arrange the tots in a cast-iron or oven safe skillet, top with the buffalo chicken mixture. Bake until bubbling and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Garnish with blue cheese crumbles, remaining cheddar cheese and chives.
You can sub the tots for fries or tortilla chips. If you want to be healthy(ish) use bell peppers, carrots and celery for dipping. Either way this dish is a touchdown!
- 1 lb of broccoli rabe, trimmed
- 2 medium peppers, seeded and cut into eighths
- 1 small thinly sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 12 oz marinated artichokes drained and chopped
- 8 oz sun dried tomatoes packed in oil. Drained, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup pickled pepper slices, drained
- 4 oz thinly sliced sharp provolone cheese
- 3-4 hero rolls, split
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil. Heat large pot of salted water to a boil.
Add broccoli rabe to boiling water, cook until stems are tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Squeeze dry the coarsely chop and set aside.
On a large baking sheet, toss peppers, onion, oil, 1.4 teaspoon of salt and pepper each. Roast until browned, about 15 minutes.
Place the bottom halves of the rolls on sheet pan. Pull some of the bread from inside of the bottom halves of the rolls. Then layer with artichokes, broccoli rabe, sun-dried tomatoes, onion and pepper mixture, pickled peppers and then cheese. Bake for 3 minutes.
Cover with tops of rolls and continue to bake until cheese has melted. Once done, cut into smaller pieces for serving.
Feel free to sub your favorite veggies.
Philly Cheesesteak Flat Bread
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 lb of shaved or very thinly sliced beef
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup pickled sweet or hot cherry peppers
- 2 cups of shredded Italian cheese blend
- ½ cup of jarred pesto
- 2 large slices of Naan bread or flat bread
Preheat the broiler. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pepper, and mushrooms stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about five minutes. Add the garlic and beef. Cook, stirring until the beef turns brown, about 3 minutes. Add the parsley, ¾ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
Line baking sheet with foil. Place Naan of flatbread on sheet. Cover with jarred pesto and sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese. Top evenly with the beef, onion, mushroom, and pepper mixture and the remaining cheese. Broil the pizzas until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Top with the cherry peppers and cut into equal serving sizes.
This can also be done on French bread or a baguette.
Pro Tip: instead of shaved beef use thinly sliced or shaved roast beef from the deli.
- ¼ cup blue sanding sugar
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 1 20 oz bottle of Gatorade or Powerade chilled
- 1 cup of thawed frozen limeade concentrate
- 1 cup silver tequila
- 1/3 cup blue curacao
Fresh orange slices for garnish
Mix the sugar and salt in a shallow dish. Wet the rims of 4 -6 rocks glasses with water and then dip in the sugar-salt mixture to coat.
Combine the sports drink, limeade concentrate, tequila, and blue curacao in a large pitcher and stir. Fill the rocks glasses with ice, pour the margarita over and garnish with an orange slice.