Rainy days can be really boring. Here in south Louisiana we’ve certainly had our share lately. In fact the rain is pouring down as I am writing this. The noise level, however, is up. Way up since all the kids are forced inside.
So what can you do to entertain the kids on a rainy day that doesn’t cost a lot?
Or where you don’t even leave the house? Sure there are lots of places in town that you can take your child, but let’s be honest. You have to fight the rain and spend money. Somedays it’s just not worth it. So to try and preserve my sanity and not have them watching the Disney Channel all day, I’ve made a nice long list of things to do together when the weather is less than cooperative.
- Read a book together.
- Download an audible book as a treat for them. The library has a wide assortment for free here.
- Do a science experiment. Check out this list of science experiments using things you probably have in your kitchen!
- Cook or bake something entirely from scratch.
- Play a board game or teach them a fun new game of cards.
- Do a puzzle.
- Have them write a short story and illustrate it.
- Print a few Mad Lib games to play together.
- Color in a coloring book.
- Play Hide and Seek using the whole house (play with lights off for extra fun if your kids are old enough!)
- Look at old pictures and scrapbooks. Reminiscing is lots of fun.
- Invite a friend to come and play. Sometimes just adding an extra child will keep yours occupied. As a bonus maybe swap days with another family.
- Build a tent in their room and let them pretend camp.
- Sing karaoke together.
- Color with sidewalk chalk in the garage.
- Create a house or town with cardboard boxes. Check this one out for inspiration.
- Hold an indoor treasure hunt.
- Make paper airplanes and have races.
Being indoors doesn’t have to be boring. Teaching your children how to play using their imagination will benefit them in the future and will definitely benefit you today!