It’s been a LONG two years since we have been able to listen to the multinational music in downtown Lafayette. It’s been two years since we’ve been able to partake in the delicious crawfish mac and cheese bowl from Pop’s and the sangria and seafood paella from Pamplona. How could we forget about the festival punch?
Festival International has been a family favorite of ours for years. I remember going to the festival with my dad when I was younger. I fell completely in love with the organization when I had the chance to intern with them when I was in college. From then on, it has been our favorite “staycation” weekend of the year. My kids love the weekend and ask to spend as much time as possible downtown taking in the music, the art, the food, and the activities.
This year’s 36th annual Festival International de Louisiane will surely be one for the books. Everyone has missed this wonderful, free festival and is counting down the days until the fun-filled weekend right in our own backyard.
A few tips and need to know info for this weekend:
- Download the Festival International app. It has all the details needed for a great weekend, including the weather!
- Volunteer – there are still areas that need volunteers. You are able to sign up throughout the weekend for shifts. Information to volunteer can be found on the app or site.
- Make sure to get your RFID bracelet. This is how all food, drinks, and official Festival merchandise is to be purchased. You can load funds onto the bracelet with cash or card at the To Up lines. If you are able to get the bracelet before (Parish Ink has them in-store), you can register and load prior to Festival! Unused funds will be returned to your card automatically on Monday. There will be a $5 fee.
- Scene des Jeunes is always a win for the little ones with activities, music, and games. This year they have added a sensory-friendly area – Zone Detente, A Relaxation Area. The area will include sensory tents, fidgets, calming activities, and more. It’ll be a perfect place to rest, reset and decompress from the excitement of Festival.
- If you are a runner make sure to take part in the Courir de Festival 5K on Saturday morning. It’s a wonderful course through the downtown and St. Street area. You can’t beat starting your Saturday running alongside Festival before the hustle and bustle.
- Are you someone who loves to post photos from Festival on your social media?! I do this a lot so it will pop up in my memories for years to come! When you post any photos make sure to use the hashtag #FestFan2022 for a chance to win some awesome FIL goodies. Don’t forget to add a Festival GIF by searching Fil2022.
- Remember, this is a FREE festival. There are no entry fees, so make sure you are putting what money you would spend on tickets to enter back into the festival. This is the only way we will be able to continue to enjoy this amazing weekend year after year.
I hope you all enjoy every second and take in every minute of this weekend. We have waited a long time for the return and I hope it’s more than we could’ve hoped for. Sing, dance, eat, play and shop until your heart is content!