The Ultimate Guide to Summer Fun in Lafayette, Louisiana!
Every May, my fingers frantically search the internet with phrases like “things to do with kids in Lafayette,” “Lafayette Summer Camps,” or “how to survive the summer with kids?” While summer is a welcome reprieve from the hustle of the school year, we still need something to fill our dog days of summer. These are some of the fun things I plan to do with my kids around Lafayette this summer, and I hope you find something fun too!
Special thanks to our sponsors Ochsner Lafayette General for making this guide possible!
As you set out to plan your summer with this guide, we want you to take comfort in knowing Ochsner Lafayette General is here for you should your family need us – from emergency care to pre-summer camp physicals.
Ochsner Lafayette General is proud to be the trusted healthcare provider of the region. We have more than 5,500 employees and serve 225,000 patients per year. Our campuses include Ochsner Lafayette General Medical Center, Ochsner Lafayette General Orthopedic Hospital, Ochsner Lafayette General Surgical Hospital, Ochsner St. Martin Hospital, Ochsner University Hospital & Clinics, Ochsner Acadia General Hospital, Ochsner Abrom Kaplan Memorial Hospital, Ochsner American Legion Hospital and a number of clinics, urgent cares and professional centers. Ochsner LGMC is the only Level II Trauma Center in Southwest Louisiana.
By joining Ochsner Health, we are even better positioned to ensure access to local, specialized, quality care for generations to come. As Ochsner Lafayette General, we can do more to enhance and expand clinical services focused on the needs of our community. Our patients – big and small – are our number one priority, and can rest assured that our commitment to advancing health, wellness and quality of life in Acadiana is stronger than ever. To learn more, visit OchsnerLG.org.
Things to do in Lafayette :: Living life in the city is full of activities for kids.
- The Children’s Museum :: This is a fun way for kids to learn and play inside Downtown Lafayette. Need something more sensory-friendly for kids with ASD or sensory processing disorders? Mornings at the Museum is a great way to let your kids explore in a welcoming environment. Registration is required as space is limited.
- Parc Sans Souci :: take a break from the heat and enjoy the splash pad downtown! Kids can cool off, be the Y in the Lafayette sign, or skateboard.
- Rock’n’Bowl :: Need an activity for those hours between dinner and bedtime? Weeknight bowling would be so much fun! Rock’n’Bowl opens Wednesday at 5pm and Thursday at 4pm. Call for availability.
- The Grand Movie Theater :: A movie is a great way to cool off during the dog days of summer. The Grand has two locations in Lafayette.
- Moncus Park :: With lots of activities for all ages there is always something to do with your kids in Lafayette at Moncus Park. You can visit their website to see when gymnastics is scheduled, yoga, and the farmer’s market.
Things to do in Acadiana with kids :: From Scott to Broussard and everything in between, there is fun around town for the entire family.
- The Lafayette Public Library :: There is something for every age at the library! Drop-in gaming for older kids is offered at many locations. Have younger kids? Check out the LEGO Club at many of the branch locations. Little Artists is a great way to fill the morning with art activities before naptime! With many locations around the city you can check their website to see what is available at a branch near you.
- Indoor Play Arenas :: Indoor play areas for kids are all the rage and for good reason! Staying cool + active during the summer months is nearly impossible. Places like Kid’s World Indoor Play Arena, Skyzone Trampoline Park, and Surge Entertainment Center all make for great playdates.
- Family Fun :: Want something with an indoor/outdoor option? Kart Ranch and Cajun Palms Prehistoric Park have activities for every age under the sun!
- Zoosiana :: The interactive bird exhibits are some of our favorites. You can leisurely walk the grounds, ride the train, or stop for a playdate at the playground.
- Lake Martin :: Home to some of the best kayaking and swamp tours within 30 minutes drive of Lafayette. Also a favorite local spot to bird watch or take in the sunset.
- Summer Water fun in Acadiana :: A list, with links, to all the summer water-based fun around Acadiana. There is something for every age here.
- Small Business Tour :: Visit a few black-owned businesses to support our local economy this summer! Here’s a list of retailers, food & beverage must-haves, and health/wellness centers.
- Swim Lesson Refresh :: Still in need of swim lessons? There might be a few open spots for swim lessons this summer in Acadiana at one of these locations.
- A Cold Treat on a Hot Day :: No matter if you call it a snow cone, snowball, or icee you can be sure to find a stand around Acadiana. Check out a comprehensive list of snowball places to beat the heat this summer here.
At Home Activities with Kids :: We all know a rainy day at home is coming, so here are some great ideas for what to do with your kids at home on a rainy day.
- Tonies :: We were given a Tonie for my son’s second birthday and it is life changing. It has helped us transition away from screen time in the easiest way possible. We were gifted Tonies, the characters are magnetized and sit on top of the speaker of movies he already loved. The character prompts the speaker to play the opening song and then tells him the story of the movie. Initial investment is a little pricey, over $100, but worth every penny in our house. Not only great for rainy days but they travel really well.
- Rainy Day Activities :: My house’s fan favorite from this list is baking something from scratch. We make spinach banana pancakes that we call Hulk pancakes, and they get eaten every time.
- Arts & Crafts :: My oldest is still in training pants overnight so we buy the pull ups in bulk from Costco. The Huggies Pull Ups (always Spiderman themed, because no others will do) interior of the box is a coloring mat ready for you to unbox and kids to draw on.
Get out of town :: traveling with kids can be tricky, but practice makes perfect (or maybe just easier).
- Van Gogh :: Want to add more art and culture to your summer routine? The Van Gogh exhibit is a short drive to New Orleans and worth the visit.
- Vacations within Driving Distance :: I am not nearly brave enough to bring my two under two in the car for seven hours, but I know there are many moms ready to make family memories on a long road trip! Looking for something a day’s drive away? You got it, here are several options.
- A Cabin Stay :: Chicot state park is personally on our list to visit this summer and I can’t wait!
- Doing Disney :: I know some of y’all are brave enough to go to Disney during the summer, and if that’s you don’t miss these must-have ideas! The Disney cruise edition is here too.
- Avery Island :: Home to the Tabasco and the beautiful jungle gardens, this quick drive from Lafayette is worth the trip! Take a tour of Tabasco or drive at your own pace through the jungle gardens, book it all here.
- Jefferson Island :: Another grade A trip worth the drive from Lafayette. See what this mom did while visiting with her family!
- Coastal Ridge Sunflower Farm :: Nothing is better than flower power. Brighter days are ahead when you can get out of the house to pick your own sunflowers (& maybe make a stop for blueberries too)!
- Fontainebleau State Park :: A to New Orleans with the kids this summer should most definitely include Fontainebleau State Park. Get all the details here.
- Red Bluff, Mississippi :: Named the mini Grand Canyon of Mississippi and only a short day trip within driving distance from Lafayette.
- White Sands Lake Day Beach :: Another quick trip to the Northshore of New Orleans provides water fun for every age! Ready for the beach without the overnight stay? See what you need here.
Extended Stay:: Looking for a weekend trip? Check out these options.
- State Tour :: Ready for tips and tricks for visiting a few towns around Louisiana? See these trips within driving distance of Lafayette.
- Driving Distance from Lafayette :: A few more suggestions, with recommendations for Lafayette too, found here.
- Road Trips Worth The Drive From Lafayette :: I’m not ready to take my two under two more than 3 hours in the car, but some of you are (or have kids big enough to handle the trip)! I have all of these recommendations on my list for family vacations within driving distance of Lafayette.
Nervous tension always builds just after Mother’s Day about what to do with the kids come summer break. While it is a welcomed break from the routine and hustle and bustle of the school year, I tend to panic because how will we function without the routine?! Finding things to do in Lafayette with kids is always my answer! What activities are you planning to do with your family this summer?